Book Review - Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Book Review

Title: Dark Matter

Author: Blake Crouch

Published: 2016

Rating: 90/100

Review:

Dark Matter book cover by Blake Crouch

(From Goodreads)

Barry Allen, did you mess up the timeline again? It sure as hell feels like it. After a 9 day binge, I've just finished Dark Matter (DM) and my head is spinning, in a good way. I'm suffering from the same kind of dizziness you get after coming off an intense carnival ride - the kind of ride that spins you in all directions so you have no idea what's going on, but you do know one thing is for certain... damn, that was fun. Right now, it's like I've stepped out of the "box" and I'm stumbling around, clutching my stomach for fear of vomiting, telling everyone they have to go and read Crouch's crazy and mind-bending novel. Can we go again?

That's what DM is - a carnival ride. I devoured it. I feel like slapping myself in the face for not reading it sooner. DM is a fast-paced and light sci-fi novel with a intriguing plot and the juiciest of twists. While I was listening to the audio book I never zoned out, not even for a second. I can't say I was obsessed to the point of insanity like I was with Pierce Brown's incredible Red Rising Trilogy, but I did find myself telling my fiancee all about it like I was an excited school kid telling my mum about all the cool stuff I learned in school. So there's this theory about the multiverse...

With his writing, Crouch had my ears perked up the entire time listening to find out what would happen to DM's protagonist, Jason Dessen. Jason is a regular Joe and family man who teaches physics at a local school. He could have pursued a career in the upper echelons of science, but instead chose to marry the woman of his dreams and start a family. He is happy, but can't escape feeling like he missed out on something by not fulfilling his dreams. He gets abducted on the way home from a bar, knocked out and wakes up in a different world... one where he is still Jason, but everything else is different. While Jason isn't the most interesting character kicking around, he is an endearing everyday man that you'll both root for and pity at the same time. I didn't feel emotionally connected to Jason (or any of the characters in DM), but that didn't stop me from being sucked into his "choose your own adventure" story.

All of the other characters are paper thin, with Crouch really focusing on Jason and while I'm usually not a fan of this, it actually helps with the pacing and flow of the novel. By not bogging us down in fleshing out side characters for the sake of it, Crouch keeps things moving at roller coaster speed. When you want to ride a roller coaster, you don't really care about the theme behind it, you just want to get on and have fun - Crouch gets this.

IMO, when it comes to writing a good sci-novel, Crouch applies the "science" like an artist. He weaves in just the right amount so it doesn't bore you and/or turn your brain to mush, making you feel like a dumb ass (unlike Stephen Moss's 'Fear The Sky' books). He inserts science when it's needed, not for the sake of it. He uses it to propel the novel along instead of using it to flex his knowledge. When Crouch talks about quantum transubstantiation, superposition and complex theoretical physics it still makes sense and flows, without requiring you to reach for the Panadol.

Overall, Crouch has knocked it out of the park again. Like Pines, he has a hot property on his hands that will certainly transfer very well to the big screen. On the topic of Pines, I'm going to go ahead and say I enjoyed DM more than Pines.

Who will enjoy this book?
Anyone who liked Andy Weir's 'The Martian' novel and/or movie. Anyone who liked Crouch's original 'Pines' novel and/or 'Wayward Pines' TV show. Anyone who likes a fast-paced and suspenseful sci-fi thriller.

Comments